Sunday, March 21, 2010

News Flash

News Flash of the day: Deployments are hard... and not just for the wives. As a soldier you are taught to not have emotions. To hide everything, to suck it up, drive on. That goes against every aspect of human nature. We as humans are suppose to have emotions. We are emotionally driven in everything we do. I understand the Army's concept of pushing emotions to the back burner. They have to teach that. If they didn't... our soldiers would get so completely caught up in their current emotions that they could make costly and deadly mistakes... which starts a complete downward spiral of everything. When a soldier deploys, the family deploys as well, and it takes equal courage and an equal amount of sacrifice. Not everyone can do what a soldier does. Not everyone can do what a military wife does. It takes a lot to be a military family and to make it through multiple deployments. I'm reminded of a class I took that talked about unit cohesion. It doesn't just apply to the military units, but to the families as well. Some times it is easy to get caught up in your own emotions during a deployment, and because they are so far away, you don't realize that the soldier is going through the same thing as you. I am married to the strongest man I know. The most loving ,caring,hard-working man. I am so proud to call him my husband, my soldier. I realize that no matter what, he will never be able to get this time back with us. He has to miss out on everything that I get to be apart of with DD, and I have no idea what that feels like. I have no idea what it feels like to be the one who leaves. I've always been the one being left. I have no idea what it feels like to have to walk away from the most important things in your life. I don't think I would be able to do it. Which makes me have even more respect for my DH, and the fact that he does it, and somehow even though I know he is being ripped apart inside, he is still there, comforting me. Helping me be strong enough to carry on without him. There are days that I feel like breaking down and giving up, but because of him, because of all of this, because he tells me I have to be strong, because I know how much he loves us... I wipe it up, suck it up, and drive on. I know DH has to do the same. I want so badly to be able to take away any pain that DH and DD are being caused by the deployment, but I know that is an impossibility. Until he can come home, and we can all be complete again, I will just love my family unconditionally. Remind my DH how much we love him, how badly we miss him, how much he means to us, and our lives. How, because of him, and the amazing man he is, DD and I wouldn't be able to make it through all of this without him. How without doubt, without fail, he is and always will be, our hero.

1 comment:

  1. I know this is so random but I came across your blog from the facebook page "My heart belongs to someone in the Military." I was skimming through your blog and noticed that you'd spent a day at Ko 'Olina and I wanted to say hi. I'm stationed in Hawaii as well and my husband is in the 2-6 Cav. If you want to get in touch, my e-mail is Hoppie_11@hotmail.com. I'd love to hear from you. ~Trinity

    ReplyDelete